In 2010 Dave Crisp received international recognition when he found the Frome Hoard, the largest single hoard of Roman coins ever - 52,503 in total! He has been a passionate metal detectorist for over 30 years. Here he has written a full guide in his own unique style to help newcomers get the very best start to the hobby.
This new book covers all aspects of the hobby and literally provides you with all you need to know to get started.
Topics covered include
- A history of the hobby,
- Testing basic detectors
- Information about the organisations involved in metal detecting
- Where to search and how to get permission.
- Useful tips on how to detect
- A chapter showing the coins and artefacts that can be found.
- details the procedure to follow to record your finds with the Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS)
- A complete chapter dedicated to the discovery of the Frome hoard. From the very first day finding just a few Roman silver coins, to unearthing the hoard itself and the events that followed over the next eighteen months.
The book has 184 pages, over 40 humorous sketches and illustrations and over 200 full colour photographs.
235mm x 150mm,
ISBN 978 1 897738 474